Aussies are well known for their “she’ll be right” attitude, but when it comes to electricity, this can be a big mistake, sometimes even deadly.
While there are plenty of DIY jobs around the home that can be tackled by the handy homeowner, when it comes to electricity, it is best left to the professionals.
Different Types of Electrical Problems
There are a wide range of electrical problems homeowners may encounter. Unlike a leaky tap or a rusty hinge, faulty wiring and other electrical issues have the potential to create serious life-threatening risks. Here are some of the most common examples of electrical mishaps and what might be causing them:
Faulty Light Fixtures
It can be frustrating when lights flicker or when the switches don’t work as they should. Most of the time, this is caused by poor installation or faulty goods. It’s usually a simple issue that can be quickly identified and fixed by a qualified tradesman.
Frequently Tripping Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers are in place to protect electrical appliances and wiring from power fluctuations. If your circuit breaker trips, then you know it’s doing its job! However, if you notice constant tripping, it may be a sign that your switchboard is overloaded. You can solve this issue by calling a qualified electrician to discuss an upgrade to your switchboard.
If the problem is coming from a short circuit, some sleuthing is required. Best to contact an electrician so they can trace the origin of the short circuit and have the faulty wiring or appliance fixed or replaced.
A wide range of things can cause power surges and dips. And in most cases, they’re not easy to uncover if you don’t have enough knowledge of electrical wirings and systems. It’s essential to consult with an expert if you notice any of the two issues so you can prevent severe appliance damage or even accidents like fire and electrocution.
Unexplainable Rise in Electric Consumption
High energy consumption means expensive electricity bills. Big bills are definitely not something you want happening every quarter. While some households DO consume more energy than necessary (think people leaving lights on when not in use, running air conditioning too hot or cold and overusing electrical appliances), others unknowingly use a lot of power because of a poorly installed or maintained electrical system. If you suspect that your power usage doesn’t add up with the bills you are receiving, it would be worth having your household electrical system assessed by an electrician.
Getting the Professionals to do the Electrical Work
Working on electrical faults can be extremely dangerous. There have been too many fatalities due to householders performing their own DIY electrical work. There are many things that can go wrong if you handle electrical problems yourself. Some examples are:
Electric Shock – Potential outcomes of electric shock include loss of consciousness, muscle spasms, numbness or tingling, breathing problems, headache, problems with vision or hearing, burns, seizures and irregular heartbeat.
Electrocution – Electrocution can be deadly, especially at high voltage levels. Fatal electrocution is usually a result of the electrical current passing through the body or head causing cardiac arrest or damage to vital centres in the brain.
Fire – Bungled wiring and mishandled electrical systems often causes fires. Inexperienced DIY homeowners might end up joining or placing wires in the wrong place, leading to sparking and fire. Unlike electric shocks/shorts, fire hazards remain unknown until the potentially disastrous flame occurs.
Expensive repair and follow up – Besides the risky accidents listed above, DIY electrical work will most likely result in expensive follow-up and repair work. There may be a need to replace fittings, switches or wiring if they aren’t up to code or installed by a professional.
Use of substandard or unsafe products – If you opt for DIY, you risk using low-quality, inferior products that would eventually wear out and could trigger all kinds of mishaps.
While DIY work is loved by most of us, hiring a licenced, experienced electrician is a much safer option for your electrical needs. You will be eliminating the guesswork and ensuring the safety of your home and family.